Tax Reporting Documents

Harvard University provides students and parents with a number of documents to support the tax filing process. Three of the most common documents are the 1098-T, 1098-E and 1042-S. More information on each of these documents, along with information on how to obtain yours, can be found below. In addition, if you worked at Harvard you can access your W-2 by following the instructions here.

Form 1042-S is issued to foreign students who have received scholarships that exceed their tuition and mandatory fees. Form 1042-S is a report of tax withheld. The form is mailed to students in mid-March. Graduate students who have questions about the information on this form can contact University Tax Services at (617) 495-8500 (option 5). Undergraduates with questions on the 1042-S can contact Student Accounts.

Form 1098-E reports interest you paid on a student loan during the preceding year.  The lenders that carry your student loans must send you a copy of Form 1098-E by January 31st.

To access your 1098-E online:

  1. Go to
  2. Sign into your account
  3. Navigate to Tax Documents
  4. Choose the 1098-E form by year and click View

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact our office.

For information on 1098-t eligibility, enrolling in Paperless 1098-T, or accessing forms from prior years, please see our FAQ. If you've already enrolled in Paperless 1098-T, you may access available forms by signing in with your Harvard credentials at (note: Harvard Extension School students can obtain their 1098-T at

The 1098-T is a record of the financial information reported by Harvard to the IRS on a student's behalf. This information includes the total amount billed for qualified tuition and related expenses in a calendar year, and the total amount of scholarships or grants disbursed in the calendar year. Related expenses do not include charges for room, board, insurance, health fees, transportation or similar expenses.

Please note that Harvard does not report payment information to the IRS, which means that Box 1 on your form will not be populated. If you need to review the payments made to your account within a given calendar year, expand the Account Details section of your account and filter the results by a specific date range.

To access your 1098-T electronically, you must log in with your Harvard credentials at After logging in, navigate to the 'Financial Services' tab in the left-menu and then select the link under 'Paperless 1098-T'.

Please note that you must disable your pop-up blocker to view your form. If you do not opt-in to view your form electronically, a paper copy will be mailed to your permanent address.

Please note, Harvard representatives are not permitted to give you individual tax advice, and we would suggest that you seek professional advice from a qualified accountant or attorney if you encounter complicated tax situations.