Cancellation and Discharge

Cancellation upon Death

Your student loan(s) will be cancelled upon your death.  In order to obtain this cancellation your family or estate must send the Harvard University Student Loan Office a certified copy of your death certificate.

Discharge for Total and Permanent Disability

A TPD discharge relieves you from having to repay a federal student loan on the basis of your total and permanent disability.  Before your federal student loan can be discharged, you must provide information to the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to show that you are totally and permanently disabled. ED will evaluate the information and determine if you qualify for a TPD discharge.

Please go to for questions and the Discharge Application form.