Am I eligible for a 1098-T?

Not all students are eligible to receive a 1098-T. Forms will not be issued under the following circumstances:

  • The amount paid for qualified tuition and related expenses* in the calendar year is less than or equal to the total scholarships disbursed that year.
  • Qualified tuition and related expenses in the calendar year were paid in full by a third-party organization.
  • ...
Read more about Am I eligible for a 1098-T?

What is a 1098-T?


The 1098-T is a record of the financial information reported by Harvard to the IRS on a student's behalf. The information on form 1098T can be used to help you determine if you are eligible for education tax credits when filing a U.S. tax return*. The information includes the total amount paid for qualified tuition and related expenses in a calendar year (Box 1) and the total amount of scholarships or grants disbursed in the calendar year (Box 5)....

Read more about What is a 1098-T?

Who can I ask if I have more questions about VA education benefits at Harvard?

If you have specific questions about a program, most of that information can be found on the school or department’s website, with links to contacts. If you have questions about alternate financial aid options, prospective students can contact the school’s Financial Aid Office. If you have questions about your certification or late/missing payments, please contact the Certifying Official for your program:

Harvard Extension School: Joseph Frechette 617-495-4293

Harvard College & Graduate Schools: studentaccountoperations_fad@harvard.edu or 617-496-8050


Read more about Who can I ask if I have more questions about VA education benefits at Harvard?

I’m planning to enroll in a non-degree Executive Education Program at one of Harvard’s graduate schools. Can I use Ch33 benefits for my program costs? Yellow Ribbon funding?

Students attending Harvard’s Executive Education Program are eligible to receive the same benefits as a student attending the College, Extension, or graduate schools. They are also eligible for YRP funding if the meet the VA’s requirements and the school has YRP slots remaining (though only a handful of EE programs exceed the basic coverage offered by Ch33 for 100% eligible students.)   For information on how to sign up and the availability of YRP funding, please contact the Executive Education Program offices directly.

How and when will the VA's payments be made?

The VA reports a typical turn-around time of 30 days between certification and payment. In our experience, that time-line can vary. Some tuition payments are received in less than a week, some take several months. It can depend on the time of year and whether the certification was pulled for manual processing (which may happen if there’s a question about the cert or if a revision is submitted.)

It is our understanding that BAH payments begin roughly 30 days from the cert date, but not before the start of term. BAH payments, if sent after the start of term, should be retroactive to...

Read more about How and when will the VA's payments be made?

How will I know when I’ve been certified for VA benefits?

Students who are utilizing VA benefits, with the exception of students utilizing Veterans Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31), will see their certification data in my.Harvard once the School Certifying Official (SCO) has submitted data for a given term to the VA. When viewing your student account in my.Harvard, scroll to the bottom of the page. Once you’ve been certified, you’ll see the following:


Read more about How will I know when I’ve been certified for VA benefits?

I'm the child or dependent of an Active Duty service member and my parent has transferred Ch33 benefit to me. Am I eligible for Yellow Ribbon?

The children of Active Duty service members (who are using the parent/guardian’s ch33 benefit) have the same eligibility as a non-AD service member – if you are deemed 100% eligible for ch33, you are also eligible for YRP. You would also be eligible for BAH payments, assuming you meet the general enrollment requirements for BAH (more than half-time).