Graduate Stipends

Direct Deposit is the most efficient way for you to receive your stipend. Enter your bank account information online by going to HARVie and clicking on the PeopleSoft link at the top right. Once in PeopleSoft, within the Self Service menu, click on My Pay and then Deposit. If you want to review any paystubs, you can also do that through the Self Service menu in PeopleSoft by clicking on the Paychecks option.

Stipends are paid by the first of each month. 

Stipend/ Scholarship Recipients must update physical location 

If you haven’t done so already, please enter your “physical location” address immediately in, Classcard (HBS), or Helios (HLS)Here are instructions on how to update your physical address in 

Nonresident Alien Stipend/ Scholarship Recipients located outside the US 

Beginning September 1st, Harvard University will not withhold U.S. taxes on any stipend/ scholarship payments you receive for the fall 2020 semester, and the payments will not be reflected on Form 1042-S, for so long as your location is outside the United States. You may have foreign tax reporting obligations in the country in which you are located. Harvard University cannot advise on any individual or personal tax matters. You are encouraged to seek advice from a professional tax advisor for guidance.  

If your location changes during the fall semester, either to a different country or upon entry to the U.S., you must immediately update your “physical location” address in, Classcard (HBS) or Helios (HLS). This is necessary to remain in compliance with U.S. tax and immigration laws. Changes made by the 15th of any month will be updated on the next month’s stipend/scholarship payment. 

Nonresident Alien Stipend/ Scholarship Recipients located in the US 

If you are a Nonresident Alien stipend/ scholarship recipient located in the US and are on a F or J visa, your stipend/ scholarship payment will be taxed at 14% in the absence of a previously claimed tax treaty benefit. All other visa types will be taxed at 30%.  At the end of the tax calendar year, you will receive an IRS Form 1042-S from Harvard detailing your scholarship income and any tax withholding or treaty benefits claimed.  You will use this form when you file your US Tax Return with the IRS. For further information or questions, please contact the Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance Group at 617-495-8500 ext. 5.  The Harvard International Office also has information on taxes. 

Stipend/ Scholarship Recipients that are US Citizens or Permanent Residents 

Harvard is not required to report or withhold taxes on your stipend/ scholarship, and no tax document will be issued to you. However, you are required to report any taxable  amounts of your worldwide income to the IRS when you file your taxes. 

Due to the impact of the pandemic, Harvard University is reevaluating all payment processes for students. As new information is assessed, you may receive additional updates that relate to stipend/scholarship payments throughout the fall semester. 

This webpage is for informational purposes only, and should not be considered tax, financial or legal advice. Please consult your own tax or financial advisor with any questions.